Upcycle papers from your craft stash to make beautiful & budget-friendly canvas wall art!
Hello again! Today I want to share with you how to make easy art by up-cycling old calendars. I have been saving old calendars for years. They are a great source of imagery for decoupaging and crafting. These DIY pieces of decor are easy to make with recycled materials
old calendars or scrapbook pages, illustrations from books, etc…
decoupaging glue (I use Mod Podge)
stretched canvas or birch plaques (these can be recycled or purchased from a dollar store)
paintbrushes, scissors, stapler, jute/twine
gel medium (optional)
This is as easy as 1,2 3!
- Cut out the illustration, picture, or imagery.
- Center the art onto your stretched canvas or birch plaque and glue down using decoupage glue.
- After it’s dry, use decoupage glue or gel medium to seal the art. Make brush strokes in the gel medium to make your artwork look more authentic.
Optional: Cut a short piece of twine and staple to each side of the top back of the canvas. This will be your hanger.
Now, there are some other steps you can take to alter the look of your artwork:
- paint the canvas before adhering the illustrations
- mat the illustration before adding to canvas
- add lace, buttons, or small flowers for a 3-D effect
Did you enjoy my DIY art from recycled papers? Wasn’t it easy? If you like this craft please be sure to stop back by Indoor Outdoor Space for many more upcycled decorations to whip up yourself on a shoe-string budget.
Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest tutorials and freebies delivered to your inbox. You can find more upcycled and recycled paper decor at my own site, The Ragged Rose.
Until our next craft adventure,
DIY & Crafts Author at Indoor Outdoor Space